Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 11:04:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speaking of moving files (Re: make world broken building fortunes )

[Recipient list trimmed down to just the list.  dhw]

>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:38:32 +0100
>From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>

>It would make more sense, considering the way FreeBSD is distributed for
>/usr/local to be a mountpoint than for /usr to be a mountpoint.

It's hardly impossible for both to be mountpoints.  :-}

>/var is traditionally a mountpoint to keep the logs out of harms
>way (and vice versa), but /usr never had that level of justification.

>It is getting even less justifiable as time progress.  The last
>sensible argument we had for it was the "load the filesystem from
>the first 1024 cylinders or bust" problem.

Somehow, I'm getting a feeling of deja vu [sorry about the loss of
diacritical marks], reflecting on SunOS (both 4.x & 5.x), where /bin is
a symlink to /usr/bin, and /lib is a symlink to /usr/lib.

All of which reminds me of a singularly memorable time when I came in to
(then-)work, where I had my (personal) Sun 3/60 in use as my workstation,
and found that it had re-booted, but failed to switch to multi-user
mode.

Shortening this story, it turns out that /etc/fstab was no longer
present.  And it had been so long since I had paid any attention to the
filesystems, I didn't know what the name of the partition for /usr was.
And this was the only SunOS 4.x box in the shop.

So... I didn't have access to such user-level programs as "ls", for
example.

Shell built-ins, especially "echo", along with redirection (to fabricate
a skeleton /etc/fstab enough to get boot-strapped) saved the day... and
I learned a little.  :-}

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915