Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 03:09:52 +1100
From:      "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GCC stack-smashing extension

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 09:19:48AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

>   - Anyone have any experience with it, good, bad, or otherwise?

Installed a copy of gcc 3.0.2 with the patch applied, tried compiling
some simple programs with gcc -S -fstack-protector, checked the
assembly language output and saw nothing even resembling protection.
I assume I messed up the install somehow, but didn't bother trying to
figure out what.

>   - Any reason why I wouldn't want this?

It's claimed that people have used versions of FreeBSD compiled with
the ssp patch, and the ideas and descriptions sure look nice.
It didn't work for me, though.

>   - Any plans to merge it into the FreeBSD-distributed GCC?

This has been discussed on this list recently:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=220254+223170+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-security/20020106.freebsd-security

In short, "no", but read that message for the reason.

Tim