Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:09:42 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE on DSL Clients

...no, I'm way on down the road from that...it's alright at that spot. I
found I just had one little ole thing missing... a local DNS named setup
and bind to the BSD gateway.... now, it's forwarding DNS requests and
caching... and BEST OF ALL... it's WORKING! ...all clients are now happy!
...and so am I.

I really badly wanted to switch the server gateway from the Win2K to a
FreeBSD... now I'm there..!!! ...runs like a daemon!

Thanks for my friends on this list who helped on this.... frustrating but
worth it to now have BSD.

At 03:30 PM 11.24.2001 +0000, P. U. (Uli) Kruppa wrote:

>Hi Jack!
>
>You have to tell us, whether you run "user-land"-ppp or
>kernel-ppp . If you have got the first thing (that means you
>type something like # ppp YOURISP ) I can have a look at my
>configuration files how I "did" it.
>For kernel-ppp you have to ask the real administrators.
>
>Regards,
>
>Uli.
>

>On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
>
>> Well.... finally got PPPoE on DSL working just fine on a FreeBSD server.
>> Only one problem left to solve and hope for a little more help.
>>
>> The BSD server/gateway (dynamic IP) can ping out and resolves addresses
>> without any problem, BUT, none of the client workstations can find anything
>> on the Internet. So, no browsing, email, ftp, etc. All stations can ping
>> each other.
>>
>> The clients can reach the Internet address (get email, FTP, browse, etc)
>> IF, it is put into the "etc/hosts" file, whether it is Win2K or other BSD
>> boxes.... each client points to the default 192.168.0.1 INTERNAL IP
>> assigned to the gateway box running the DSL. The resolv.conf file for the
>> DSL box has the proper nameservers for the ISP. DNS is enabled in ppp.conf.
>> NAT and gateway is enabled in rc.conf.
>>
>> If my config files will help, let me know....
>>
>> BTW, this email is going out from a client, but I have my mail server IP in
>> the /etc/host.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jack L. Stone,
>> Server Admin
>>
>> Sage-American
>> http://www.sage-american.com
>> jacks@sage-american.com

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American