Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 23:43:43 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spinning down the drive

According to Derek Moeller:
> 	Is this possible? Are there significant hard drive power gains if it's spun
> down in a laptop?

Considering that you have a sync(2) every 30s (w/o softupdates) and even more
of them with softupdates, I don't see what you'd gain.

I'd say it takes more power to restart the drive every N seconds than letting
it spin.

I may be wrong but I don't see it useful.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 5.0-CURRENT #80: Sun Jun  4 22:44:19 CEST 2000