Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:08:23 +0200
From:      Stefan Midjich <swehack@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of /etc/rc.conf.d/servicename feature in rc.subr

Shortly after I posted my e-mail I was talking about this with a
co-worker and realized that I'm using the wrong servicename in
rc.conf.d. Checking the name variable in /etc/rc.d/netif made it all
much more clear.

And yes I would support the further development of this feature
because I plan on using it in deployment of FreeBSD nodes.

2011/6/20 Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>:
> On 20 Jun 2011, at 09:20, Stefan Midjich wrote:
>
>> I noticed in /etc/rc.subr that the function load_rc_config sources
>> /etc/rc.conf.d/${_name}. This is however undocumented, NetBSD mentions
>> this feature in rc.conf(5) but FreeBSD does not.
>>
>> I have two questions, is this a new undocumented feature, or an old
>> one being phased out? I'm hoping it's a new because I really want this
>> feature.
>>
>> Second question, how do I use it? I've tried to track the ${_name}
>> variable but I can't find anyone calling the parent function
>> load_rc_config_var() where the name variable is set from its first
>> argument.
>
> I've added a file called 'jail' there =A0and /etc/rc.d/jail will then
> pick up configuration data from /etc/rc.conf.d/jail.
>
> I think it's quite a useful feature and would support it's
> continued existence. However I wonder who else might be interested
> in a better referencing method more like a perl hash or YAML files
> for the configuration data.
>
> There's a clear nesting behaviour there built from shell variable
> names that I find a little bit overextended.
>
> - Mark

--=20

Med v=E4nliga h=E4lsningar / With kind regards

Stefan Midjich
http://swehack.se