Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:22:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Thomas Veldhouse <veldy@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   de0 won't come up

Hello,

	I just did the unthinkable and purchased a Compaq 5868 :-)  I was
using an older (~10-30-99) snapshot of stable.  That snaptshot worked fine
on my older PII-333.

	The problem I am having is that the de0 interface will not come
up.  I have manually tried to bring it up with ifconfig de0 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0 up, but the network is still unresponsive.
Samething happens with the most recent current snapshot.  To elaborate, I
simply installed the OS and chose the options to use de0 from sysinstall.
The proper entries were placed in /etc/rc.conf.  For some reason, it works
fine on my old hardware, but the identical options chosen on my new
hardware (same NIC from the old box) and it doesn't work.  I have a
feeling it has to do with the way the hardware is probed and the device is
taken down (although it still shows with the proper config under ifconfig
-l or -A).

	So ... my current hardware configuration is ...

	AMD Athlon (K7) 600MHz
	Motherboard uses AMD751 chipset (compaq or AMD board?) with 200MHz
FSB
	128MB SDRAM100
	Asante 10baseT PCI card (sorry, I don't have specs handy - but it
works with de0 when placed in my old PC - and it works with both tulip and
another modules under linux)

	FWIW - the card works just fine on this computer using Linux and
Win98, so I am sure that this is FreeBSD related and not hardware related
(directly anyway) problem.

	I can get more particulars on the NIC later if necessary.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com