Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:00:16 +0200
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
Cc:        bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question on CVSuping ports for first time on a system

Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au> wrote:

[...]

> Thanks for replying Salvo.
> So, in order to avoid possible problems, I ought to delete my ports tree &
> reinstall form the CD, delete the cvsup file I now have and then run CVSup
> again, using a modified cvsup file like:
> *default tag=.
> *date=2002.06.11.09.02.00
> *default host=cvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
> ports-all
>
> Does that sound right?

Hello Ian,

If I understand correctly what you have done, I think you are _already_ all
right. :-O

The first sync operation serves a specific purpose: i.e. to let cvsup create a
checkouts file reflecting the status of your sources (e.g. the ports tree, as
of the shipping date), so that cvsup will be able to perform _subsequent_
updates in the most efficient and correct way -- in particular, there will be
no stale files.

To inspect your sources for consistency, you can also use the python script
(detailed instructions in the article).

Your current situation (as I understand it) looks all right: after deleting
the ports tree by accident, you cvsup'ed it again -- this time _from scratch_.
Thus there can be no stale files and no problems whatsoever.

Needless to say, this isn't exactly the recommended method. :-)

Regards,
Salvo