Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:37:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        "Jacques A . Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:27:04AM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > Are all modules effected, or only those that use certain interfaces?
>
> Given that this is a change in splxxx() I suspect that it breaks
> most modules, but probably not all modules.  A quick grep -l spl * | wc

Given that this is a change in the splxxx() implementation, it breaks
zero modules.

splxxx() was changed from an inline function to an ordinary function
when SMP development started, to give the same ABI for the SMP case as
for the non-SMP case.  This gives the same ABI for different SMP
implementations as a side effect.

I've thought of bringing back some of the spl inlines.  The module ABI
problem can be handled in the same way as in <machine/atomic.h> -- use
ordinary functions for modules.

Bruce