Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:02:55 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS problems in -stable?

In 2.2.7-R as well as 2.2.7-S built an hour or so ago, I'm having
problems with nfs. The FreeBSD machine is running mountd, and exporting
/usr/home; two Solaris machines are mounting this home directory. The
server randomly stops responding when I try to do things such as gunzip,
tar xf, and install. This seems to happen whether or not the operation
spans remote/local mountpoints. As I've been told that only NFSv3 is
broken, I'm running mountd -2 and have -o vers=2 on the Solaris client.
The problem seems to come up mostly from the 2.5.1 machine. I haven't run
into it on 2.6, but that machine hardly gets used. Does anyone know if
this is some pilot error, broken solaris, or broken FreeBSD?
--
  Nathan Dorfman            |    E-mail:  nathan@fcc.net
  Frontline Communications  |  Front desk: 914-623-8553: