Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Branson Matheson babbled:
> >> You might also look at using xdm instead .. with that you will have
> >> a graphical login prompt. And it will automagically restart every
> >> time you logout. The nice thing about this and freebsd is that you
> >> can still use a text console with syscons.
> >
> > So far, this seems to be terrible advice.  I messed with xdm more this
> > morning, and it does exactly what he says it does - automagically restart.
> > I am completely unable to get out of it.

 You're not sposta... seems that you forgot to leave in the lines that
 I stated about testing with xdm -nodaemon!!!! xdm is _designed_ to
 restart every time. and if you need a text terminal .. use the <ctrl>
 <Alt> <f1> to switch back to the console! to kill the xdm stuff...
 you have to kill -TERM the xdm with the lowest pid. This will keep it
 from re-spawning. If you use -HUP it will respawn right that second.

> > If I've logged in as root I can
> > get back to the login screen, but I can't quit from there: ^D doesn't work
> > and neither does your suggestion of ^[alt]-[backspace].
>
> ctrl-alt-backspace will kill the X server, which xdm will then
> cheerfully restart.

 As it is designed to do.

> > The only way out seems to be to login as root and type "shutdown -h
> > now".  If I've logged in as dunham I can't even do that, and su
> > doesn't work.

 Wrong... read the man pages on xdm and what I have above.. you can
 kill the xdm server and it will not re-spawn.

> > I'm going back to startx, unless you can give me some reason why I
> > should consider xdm that isn't obvious to the uninitiated, and tell
> > me how to REALLY get out of it.
>
> xdm is great for people who never want (nor need) to see a character
> mode display.  Unfortunately, not everything runs under X, and xdm
> effectively takes away some of your freedom.  I use xinit myself, and
> for the life of me I can't recall what the difference is from startx.
> Not much, anyway.  You could consider them interchangeable.

 well kinda... xdm gives you an x interface when you want it.. but you
 still have the option of getting the console interface at any time by
 using <ctrl> <Alt> <f1>. Just a little explanation:

 there are 12 syscons consoles compiled into the GENERIC kernel. 0,1,2
 are all setup to present you with a login prompt.  3 is the default
 console to start your X session on...  so you can still switch back
 to the others using the <ctrl><Alt><f[1-3]>.  By way of note...  you
 can switch back to the x console using <alt><f4>.

 You can even add more syscons consoles fairly easily... since the
 devices start at 0, you have in your /etc/ttys somthing like:

 #
 ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
 # Virtual terminals
 ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
 ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
 ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure

 Note that number three is off .. that is for X windows... you can add
 a line like:

 ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure

 cd /dev ; MAKEDEV vty4

 then

 kill -HUP 1

 and presto <alt> <f5> gives you another console cd /dev ; MAKEDEV
 vty4

 Hope this helps!

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?