Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:40:12 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Riddle me this

At 09:25 PM 1/26/2000 , Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Well, certainly the 'failed to write packet back' has nothing to do
>     with the icmp bandwidth limiting -- the bandwidth limiting drops packets,
>     the sender would not see an error.  Also, the bandwidth limiting only
>     drops kernel-generated icmp response packets for certain specific cases
>     unrelated to NAT.

That's what I figured. The question, though, is what sort of attack or
condition WOULD have caused the error. The machines behind this one
are relatively safe because they're not addressable thanks to NAT.

>    What likely occured in the Jan 24 logs was some sort of continuous
>     problem for the time range indicated (19:18:59 -> 19:20:15), but only
>     exceeding the 100 pps threshold at a couple of points during that
>     period.

Could be. I figure that the "continuous problem" was likely to have been
an attack. The upstream link was down for several hours that week, and
in fact the *backbone provider* was experiencing outages.

--Brett