Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:09:16 +1000
From:      Anthony.Wyatt@csiro.au
To:        bsd-freak@mbox.com.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: PPPoE flakiness

I had problems like this with a dialup that broke down regularly, it was related to ipf.

To find out if this is your problem as well try the following:

1) check your IP address on tun0
2) ping something you like like www.telstra.com
3) kill your ppp connection
4) restart ppp and check the IP address has changed (if not go back to step 2)
5) try pinging www.telstra.com again
6) If it failed the flush your ipf and ipnat rules and reload them
7) try pinging www.telstra.com again
8) if your ping now worked then you need to set up a cronjob that checks the IP address on tun0 every 5mins or so and flushes your rules and reloads them if it does.

If the ping works at step 5) try telneting to port 80 instead, if it works, then it could be something else.

Good luck,
Anthony