Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 23:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@mercury.gaianet.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grumble.grondar.za>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org, Chad Shackley <chad@mercury.gaianet.net>, jbhunt <jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Mark Murray wrote:

> -Vince- wrote:
> > > If you do not know the basics, like setuid, you are WIDE open for this
> > > kind of attack.
> >
> > 	Well, I know what a setuid is but didn't know it was called a setuid
> > since it has that s in the permissions...  Also, on our machine, the wheel
> > group only has chad, jbhunt, vince and root and the only person who can
> > login to root directly is chad at the console, we all need to su.
>
> Ok...
>
> > > This shell could have been created two ways (That are currently in
> > > popular cracker use):
> > >
> > > 1) The cracker snooped your root password somehow, (digging through
> > >    your desk/dustbin or by running a snooper somewhere), then created
> > >    this suid shell for future use.
> >
> > 	This isn't possible since Gaianet isn't opened to the public for
> > people to snoop around.
>
> Physically, OK, but electronically?

	Electronically is a different story....  Since there are over 1000
users on this machine....  but we do know who hacked root access... on
our other machine earth like i mentioned earlier, one person just did
ypwhich to get root access but that was with 2.1R, -current seemed to fix
this.

> > > 2) The Cracker made a trojan script somewhere (usually exploiting
> > >    some admins (roots) who have "." in their path). This way he creates
> > >    a script that when run as root will make him a suid program.
> > >    after this he has you by tender bits.
> >
> > 	Hmmm, doesn't everyone have . as their path since all . does is allow
> > someone to run stuff from the current directory...
>
> Not root! this leaves you wide open for trojans. As root you should
> have to type ./foo to run foo in the current directory.

	Hmmm, really?  It seems like almost all systems root has . for the
path but if the directory for root is like read, write, execute by root
only, how will they get into it?

> > > There are other ways, but these are the most popular.
> > >
> > > For much more info, I recommend "Practical Unix Security" from
> > > O'Reilly and Associates, (By Garfinkel?)
> >
> > 	I have that book but there are always ways no one knows about ;)
>
> Sure! :-)

	That's the thing like the mount_union hole, that has probably
been there for ages and other people may have been using it as a backdoor
for quite some time before it was discovered....

Vince