Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:43:10 +0000
From:      Shawn Buck <shbuck@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel recompile question

When I attempt to recompile my kernel under FreeBSD 2.0.5 I get a
strange message when I run the config command on the new configuration
file (which is called GATEWAY) I created it gives me a message saying:

config: wd: unknown device
config: line 23: no root device specified

I looked where it said that the problem was and had a friend look at it.
The configuration file had nothing wrong with it.  I eventually found,
after hours of searching, that config required the file devices.i386 to
run correctly.  I did an ls -l in the /sys/i386/conf directory and it
said:

ls: GENERIC: Bad file descriptor
ls: LINT: Bad file descriptor
ls: VTCSPC: Bad file descriptor
ls: config.core: Bad file descriptor
ls: devices.i386:ad file descriptor

along with other normal things.  I have a backup copy of devices.i386
called devices.i386.orig and tried to copy it to the name devices.i386
so I could recompile my kernel; however, it would not let me.  It said
"devices.i386: Bad file descriptor".  How can I get my system able to
recompile my custom kernel. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Shawn Buck
shbuck@mail.vt.edu
sbuck@csugrad.cs.vt.edu
Virginia Tech