Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:11:09 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld and PAM and login and stuff

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 06:32:13PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Well heck, if you know that the optimization shouldn't be changed,
> > then put a comment in /etc/make.conf, or better yet, have make
> > buildworld check to see if CFLAGS isn't set to the "officially
> > supported" value and tell the user.  I futz with my make.conf because
>
> My best recommendation based on everything you've said so far can only
> be to tell you simply not to mess with the contents of /etc/make.conf
> or any other configuration file in /etc which you don't fully
> understand.  We picked good defaults specifically so that most people
> wouldn't have to mess with these files at all as a general rule, and
> if they DO mess with them we expect them to know exactly what they're
> doing.

Oh, don't condescend, Jordan.  FreeBSD isn't Windows 95, nor should it
be.  When the time comes that Unix is about surrendering all control
to the Bureau of Recommended Settings, I will find another operating
system.  The fact is that there are knobs in make.conf, and they even
say things like "...probably the most common, use could be...", and
"Another useful entry is...".  People are going to "mess with" those
things.  Perhaps they have plenty of memory available for -pipe, or
perhaps they compile a lot of ports and want -O2 for the majority of
them.  Perhaps they configured make.conf when they installed FreeBSD,
and haven't looked at it since.. a few months later they go to do a
buildworld and don't remember to check whether any make settings have
been alterered.  Sure, when it blows up after an hour of building, they'll
think "Damn, I bet I changed something in make.conf".  It could have
saved them a bit of work if the build process had said something like:

  You have changed one or more of the following default build options.
  FreeBSD is only tested with the default settings.  You may want to
  press ^C now to abort the build and check your settings.  If you
  continue, the build may fail or produce incorrect output.  Please
  do not continue unless you are sure of what you're doing.

  Option       Default          Current setting
  CFLAGS       ""               "-O -pipe"
  -DNOPERL     unset            set

  Build will continue automatically in 10 seconds unless aborted.

I take full responsibility for messing up my system (see .sig quote).
I wouldn't be hacking -current if I weren't willing to take some
risks.  I just thought that "this may be a predictable build failure"
was germane considering the recent discussions about the new bind
users and the dangers of -DNOPERL.

I've been doing world builds since the early days of NetBSD on my Sun
3.  I'm well aware that it's a very complex and finely balanced system
that shouldn't be expected to continue working if you mess up the
environment.  That said, I'm inclined to agree more with the "if there
are a few things that can be caught up front instead of when it fails
in the middle, then catch them" philosophy than the Microsoftian
"remove all of the settings that the users might hurt themselves on"
dumbing down approach.

Anyway, I'm done with this now.
--
Christopher Masto        Director of Operations      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

    "Good tools allow users to do stupid things." -- Clay Shirky