Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:20:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.dk>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF binaries

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Ollivier Robert wrote:
>
> > The main problem is that if you are to replace as/ld and the whole binutils
> > package is that you won't be able to build a.out binaries, especially
> > shared libs. Our shared libs scheme is not supported anymore by GNU
> > (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Right, I realize I won't be able to build a.out binaries anymore (guess
> I'll need to make my kernels elsewhere), and I guess that means, I'll need
> to rebuild all my programs (and shared libs) too.  GNU's binutils don't
> support a.out at all I think.

It is possible, however it requires a little movearound of the current
tools, and a few litte shell scripts, then it works.

> > Out of perversion, I've built the 971215 snapshot of egcs with the ELF
> > tools so egcs now builds ELF binaries. I'm waiting for the switch to ELF
> > eagerly.
>
> I tried, and in a few hours accomplished a compiler/binutil combination
> (with some early december egcs snapshot) that compiled things, but
> wouldn't completely link.  Either way, with all of Terry's hype, and all
> the seemingly needed hacks in place, I think that -current would be a good
> place to start some more elf support.

It allready done, Peter (Wemm), John Polstra and myself has all of this
running, just the bootcode needs more thought, and a few bugs need to
be worked out, but its there...
The biggest obstacle (well, besides all 3 of us being extreme busy), is
how we are going to "swing over" current without too much trouble. We
have all heard about the unneeded hassle that the Linux crowd suffered,
and we will not repeat that, even if it make the process longer.

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..