Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:08:42 -0500
From:      Chen Xu <xuc@mcbi-34.med.nyu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ???the existence of /etc/rc.conf causes problematic init

Hi All,

I was trying to put an old 486 into use. 32M memory. It has a old DPT
EISA SCSI host adapter controller which is not supported by freebsd. So
I put a samll IDE drive in. The installation went smoothly without any
problem. After installing and first rebooting, the system comes up
normally. I was so happy, you know.

However, after doing:
#cp /etc/defaults/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf
and set a hostname for this machine, and reboot

The system boot OK first(highlighted messages part), it stopped at line
"change to root device wd0s1a"

(init starts, I think), after about 5 mins, it said:

".: out of file descripter"

then dropped me into single user mode. I played around with setting and
reinstalling (bad sector scan etc.. ), found exactly the same situation.
So I removed /etc/rc.conf (the only thing new after first reboot), then
finally the system works fine!!

Now I can use the system by setting /etc/defaults/rc.conf
instead of /etc/rc.conf, but I don't understand why the existence of
/etc/rc.conf causes the init going wrong?

ANy idea?

--
Chen Xu         xuc@saturn.med.nyu.edu          xuchen66@yahoo.com
Structural Biology Program                      Tel: (212)263-1596