Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:42:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brandon@roguetrader.com (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

> I guess basically what i'm getting at is that to place these
> in a filesystem off root, we shouldn't use an existing name, as then
> people would assume the rest follows existing conventions (i.e. /opt)
> which would not be the case, thus a different name would be in order, and
> the first thing to pop into my head was simply /local :)

[ ... ]

> perhaps /pkg
>
> (preferred over /ports)
>
> This is probably a moot discussion tho, it implies too many changes to
> very common but not official ''standards''...

The biggest issue is not changes; changes are OK (IMO, anyway).  What
is upsetting is:

1)	unless /whatever is a seperate partition, you are loading onto
	/ instead of /usr, and /usr is probably where you want the loads
	to occur in that case.  / is a small partition, traditionally.

2)	If /opt is used, there is an ABI problem with installation
	of third party packaged wor SunOS/Solaris on FreeBSD boxes
	as part of an install into a SunOS/Solaris ABI environment;
	speficially, how do you tell /opt/cc for /opt/cc?

I personally would prefer a mounting under /usr/opt, or /var/opt,
if necessary, and let the "no inferior mounts of inferior mounts"
purists do the fstab and symlink hacking themselves (to be purists
they have to know enough about the actual layout that it's offensive
to them; the same knowledge may be applied by them to fix their
lcoal configuration).  Worst case, it's another install option which
asks "/usr/opt on a sperate partition?" and "/usr/opt really /opt?"
if they say "yes".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---