Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:52:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        list subscriber <bsdlist@wildharerc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuring email for virtual hosts

list subscriber wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> [...]
> In my /etc/mail/local-host-names, I have defined a domain name
> (xyz.com)
>
> In /etc/mail/virtusertable I have a line
>
> @xyz.com    joeblow
>
> What I want to happen is mail for any name @ xyz.com to go into the
> mailbox joeblow.

It looks like you've made the right additions to the config files, but
you have most likely neglected to rebuild the databases. Sendmail
doesn't read the config files directly... it expects database files to
exist with that information.

For virtusertable, try the following:

/usr/sbin/makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable
kill -1 `cat /var/run/sendmail.pid`

(The second line rehups sendmail, so it will re-read the databases).

> What actually happens is it will accept mail for joeblow@xyz.com is
> accepted correctly, but anything else is rejected.

This is the default behaviour. Sendmail is basically not caring about
the @xyz.com portion, and is simply mapping to local usernames.
root@xyz.com, for instance, will be saved to root's mailbox. In other
words, this is a good indication that your changes did not take
effect.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon