Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 21:46:33 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, d_f0rce@gmx.de, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Dangerously Dedicated" setting in 4.3-R install

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > > Is there a special reason, why this option was removed?
> >
> > Too many people shooting themselves in the feet.  It also
> > stuck those people with systems where certain boot tricks
> > were no longer possible.
>
> Yeah, well, isn't that what they're there for? Target practice?
>
> What I'm wondering is what the impact of this decision might
> be on the long term for those of us running dangerously
> dedicated (cough, cough)?
>
> Having "../sysinstall/disks.c" undocumented is one thing, having
> it not there - presumably because this chicked is still at 4.2-S
> - something different alltogether.
>
> Had a quick looksee, looks like that's the culprit allright.
>
> Somehow I find the thought of mayhap having to reformat my hard
> disks to install the latest and greatest - say 6.0-STABLE - quite
> unsettling <g>.

I dont think that will happen... There is no reason to drop support
of DD disks...
There was good reason however to make it harder for the uninformed to
use, since it could in a lot of situations cause terrible headaches for
new users... I guess the main reason is to stop new users getting scared
off because they couldnt get it to work (apparently the warning wasnt
enough to keep them away)...

The undocumented "F" option in fdisk is fine, and I dont see why it would
be removed in the future... An improved DD disk implementation would be
good though :)