Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:58:16 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: failure notice]

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Julian Elischer writes:
>  > Vladimir Silyaev wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Thanks, barry.
>  > >
>  > > For sure vmware is wiring pages. It's about 50% or more percent of pages
>  > > allocated for guest memory is wired down (i.e. you can easily notice that
>  > > if you will run systat). But those pages is wired down not calling
>  > > to mlock by vmware, but it's done inside vmmon driver.
>  > >
>  > > Regards,
>  > > Vladimir
>  > >
>  >
>  > So is there a patch in the works?
>
> As you might recall, vmware appears to stutter frequently and freeze
> for small periods of time when run on FreeBSD -- this stuttering
> coincides with heavy disk activity and pageouts by the vnode pager.
> The "problem" appears to be that FreeBSD actually tries to keep
> mmap'ed regions clean.  Linux apparently only tries to clean them when
> they are unmapped. Linux does not have a MAP_NOSYNC flag to indicate
> that a region should be map'ed nosync & it is apparently not removing
> the file in question, so MAP_NOSYNC is never getting set.
>
> Hacking vmware to set wired pages to PG_NOSYNC doesn't seem to help.
> However, I have my own local hack which seems to help a great deal:
> hacking the Linulator to treat all mmap'ed files as MAP_NOSYNC, in
> combination with my fixes to vm_fault so as to correctly tag a page in
> a MAP_NOSYNC map with PG_NOSYNC on a read fault.

Matt, are these changes (fixes to vm_fault) generally correct?
Andrew, are they available somewhere?
I'm desperate to get vmware running at a normal speed again. It's robbing
my development cycle of hours per day.

> The first part (hacking the Linulator) is unacceptable for general
> consumption  & a better way needs to be found.  One thing I've thought
> of is adding some functionality to the vmmon kernel module to force
> the vmware app's mmap'ed regions to be MAP_NOSYNC.   I don't know
> enough about how vmware works to achieve this & have not had the time
> to look into it further.

Matt and Vladimir, can the two of you figure out between you
how to do this?  Vladimir knows the vmware side and Matt knows the VM options
available.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org