Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:44:36 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc -O bug

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> I ran into this bug while analyzing a customer's logs to determine the
> best time of day for an upgrade.  The original script was in Perl, but
> I rewrote it in C because it was too slow.  The C version produces
> incorrect results when compiled with -O.  Note that the log starts at
> 16:27.
>
> The warning about "time" being possibly uninitialized is safe to
> ignore; this can only happen if the log is empty.
>
> The C source and a truncated log that reproduces the bug are attached
> at the end of this message.

Er, isn't this the kind of problem the GCC folks are more likly to be
able to fix?

At least in GCC 2.9.5 (not the latest mind you) this problem still
exists.  I'm sure the GNU project would love to hear about this bug,
especially since it happens at such a low -O level (people expect bugs
with -O2 or -O3, but -O bugs can be surprising to some).