Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 15:03:42 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Jesper Wallin <z3l3zt@phucking.kicks-ass.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How secure is a password and how many characters does it allow?

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 02:53:49PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> All I know is that it seems that only the first eight characters
> of a password are signifigant for the hash function used.

That should be true of DES passwords, but not MD5.

MD5 passwords can be identified by looking in /etc/master.passwd.
The password fields (the second field, right after the username) will
start with $1$ if MD5 passwords are in use.

I think the method of specifying MD5 vs. DES has changes since I learned
to do it, so in the interest of keeping my foot out of my mouth I'll just
suggest that the original poster consult the Handbook/mailing list
archives/etc.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Eight lanes of shimmering cement from
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * here to Pasadena!