Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:51:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Lamb.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, vadim@tversu.ac.ru
Subject:   Re: EFS

> As Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>
> (efs unstable)
>
> > I never did that observation on 5.3, also not 6.2. Irix is for me
> > one of the best unix machines there you can press the reset button.
>
> Except they don't have a reset button (well, only a fairly hidden
> one).
>
> The posted opinion is just my experience, i've seen more than one efs
> partition gone with nobody really knowing what has been all damaged.
> (The 5.3 systems used to crash very often with thei alpha-quality ISDN
> driver.)

Yes, the european ISDN driver in 5.3 need sseveral patches before you can
consider it working. At that time I tried to use them, SGI germany
was not able to get me the patches online. It took them 2 weeks to send
me then a DAT tape with ALL patches at that time.

> All this is history for me, it's been at my former employer, and
> they've meanwhile trashed the Indys.  But it makes me reluctant about
> the purpose behind an `efs' implementation for us...  IMHO, ufs is
> much more stable, at least the BSD implementation.

Aehm, current employee, as that is right now SGI I need to use them ;-)

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Lamb Art Internet Services | http://www.Lamb.net/ | http://www.Alameda.net