Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:38:53 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD slogan vote results:

Hello, and welcome to the 1997 FreeBSD Slogan awards!  I'm your
host, Jordan Hubbard, and this is Pamela Anderson Lee, my co-host.
Smile for the audience, Pamela!  [she grins and waves].

jkh: "And now, in the category of best supporting slogan, the winner is...
     The envelope, Pamela?"

Pam: "I can't get it open.  It's, like, stuck!"

jkh: "Here, just shred it along the top, like this."

Pam: "Ohhhh!  No wonder Tommy always opens the mail for me!"

jkh: "*sigh*  And the winner for best supporting slogan, with 17 votes,
      is...  ``FreeBSD: Powering the Internet'' from Gary T. Corcoran!"

[audience cheers]

Gary: "*Sniff*  This is so..  so unexpected!  I just don't know what
       to say!  Do I, uh, win anything then?"

jkh: "Uh, no.  That's only the first place winner, sorry."

Gary: "You %$#@&! cheapskates!"

jkh: "Indeed.  And now, the moment you've all been waiting for,
     the WINNER of this year's FreeBSD slogan contest!  And the winner,
     with 34 votes, is... Pamela, the envelope please.
     Pamela!  Put that back on!"

Pam: "Sorry, just practicing!"

jkh: "The winner of this year's slogan contest is...
     ``FreeBSD: The power to serve'' from, ummmm, `Spork'"

Pam: "Uh.  Serve what?"

jkh: "Just ``serve.''  It's sort of a double entendre."

Pam: "A double *what*?"

jkh: "Oh never mind.  Just give me the T-shirt and the CD subscription
      so we can get this over with.  Hey, what kind of a name is ``spork''
      anyway?"

spork: "Well, it's ..."

jkh: "And that's all we have time for, sorry!  Please join us next year
      when we next present:  The FreeBSD Slogan awards!"

[roll credits as everyone on stage bows to the cheering audience]

[ jkh: "So, uh, Pam.  Those aren't real, are they?"
  Pam: "You know, like, everyone asks me that!  Here, feel!"
  jkh: "Ack!  No, put that back on!  We're still on the air!" ]

[hasty fade to commercial]

P.S. to spork.  Please send me your postal address!

					Jordan