Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 18:22:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd enhancements (fwd)

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Darren Reed wrote:

> allowing different programs to bind to different IP addresses
> (on a multi-ip# box) is something inetd does not do and can't
> handle with packet filters and requires tcpd/fwtk type solution.
>
> however, I think that rather hacking that functionality into
> inetd, look at xinetd (which already has numerous additions)
> and leave inetd to be more standard...

However, as others have pointed out before, there is a certain piece of
mind gained when dealing with nice, neat, smaller programs. There are
fewer places for things to go wrong:
root@devel:/tmp/xinetd-2.2.1/xinetd# wc -l *.c |grep total
   12104 total
root@devel:/tmp/xinetd-2.2.1/xinetd# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/inetd/
root@devel:/usr/src/usr.sbin/inetd# wc -l *.c |grep total
    1883 total
root@devel:/usr/src/usr.sbin/inetd#

In this case, I believe a patch that augments inetd's functionality
should be incorporated, so long as it is audited first. :)

Nick

--
Email: ncb05@uow.edu.au - http://rabble.uow.edu.au/~nick
Key fingerprint =  DE 30 33 D3 16 91 C8 8D  A7 F8 70 03 B7 77 1A 2A