Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:57:25 +0200
From:      Jens Andre Griepentrog <griepent@wias-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   NCR SCSI controller problems with FreeBSD-4.1R

Dear FreeBSD and SCSI experts!

I have tried to install FreeBSD 4.1 Release from CD-ROM (4.1-install.iso).
Using the boot floppies kern.flp and mfsroot.flp the system hangs up during
the detection and settlement of SCSI devices. None of my five SCSI devices
connected to the ASUS SC-200 NCR SCSI controller appears in the boot display
messages. Here is the short list of relevant hardware components:

	ASUS P6NP5 Intel Pentium Pro 200 mother board,
	three IBM and Quantum SCSI hard drives,
	Tandberg SCSI QIC streamer,
	Plextor SCSI CD-ROM.

Using the same hardware this problem appears for the first time in my
four-year experience with successful installed releases 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 or 3.4.

From time to time I tried to install several Linux distributions to get
the impression of a comparable OS but every time running into the same
trouble concerning the detection of SCSI devices.

The deeper reason could be a problem with the NCR SCSI controller because
of reported code modifications after release 3.4.

It would be nice if you could give me hint. Let me know if you need more
details about my hardware or BIOS settings. For instance I can send a dmesg
log file from my current FreeBSD-3.4 installation.

So long,

Jens Griepentrog