Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:15:44 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possibly silly question regarding freebsd-update

On 2019-08-14 09:59, tech-lists wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used freebsd for a long while but freebsd-update only relatively
> recently. I have always rebooted the server after freebsd-update install.
>
> I was wondering - is rebooting a requirement?

FreeBSD security advisory message will tell your if reboot should be
last step of particular update.

If you want to use your own brain, think along these lines: if anything
inside kernel has changed, you do have to reboot (as you have to replace
something that is always in RAM when system runs); if nothing has
changed that is loaded into RAM with the kernel, then no reboot is
necessary. An example of the last would be update to one of the binaries
(utilities) that comes with the base system (not to be confused with
stuff coming with pkg or port installation).

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

> thanks,

Valeri Galtsev