Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:11:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        MALCOLM BOFF <Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: man pages

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, MALCOLM BOFF wrote:

> (This note refers to 2.2.2-RELEASE)
> I have been trying to understand how man works in order that I can get some
> properly formatted printouts and come up with the following conclusions.
>
> assuming the command 'man man' is executed then
> the following command is executed :-
>   zcat /usr/share/man/cat1/man.1.gz
> this file after decompression is not in *roff format
>
> assuming that the command 'man -t man' is executed then
> the following command is executed
>    zcat /usr/share/man/man1/man.1.gz | tbl | troff
> the compressed file is in *roff format
>
> This operation by default will use the troff device 'devps' ie postscript
> this does not seem to be the case however so I tried executing the command
> manually as :-
>
> zcat /usr/share/man/man1/man.1.gz | tbl | troff -Tascii
>
> and expected an ascii printable but that didn't give me what I expected.
>
> Is the command troff working correctly ? Should it be proceeded by 'groff'
> ?

If your looking for ascii printable I use something I saw on this list a
long while back if I want ascii:

bash$ man man | col -b > man.txt

will give you a nice txt file. Have no idea if this is what you wanted
but this makes an ascii txt file that I can load into vi or just
cat/more onto screen.

Keith