Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 18:20:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfs install tribulations....

On 13:54:55 Thomas David Rivers wrote:
	<<< snip >>>
David,

    THANKS for the reply.  Actually, after fooling with it for two or three
days off and on, I gave up on it, and put the Linux back on.  As it turns
out, I think it may be something not quite really compatible on that box.
Interesting that it doesn't cripple Linux, but I also discovered that I
could not execute an install via FTP either!  I gave up trying to get the
install going to my Debian box via NFS, and just figured I'd start an
install via ftp from freebsd.org and let it run overnite.  Bad idea.

	And it suggests the two problems are related to the same data (the
netconfig screen), as the ftp install failed to start saying that my ISP's
DNS was not able to resolve the IP of ftp.freebsd.org!!  I really think
that what was happening with this machine is that the data I entered into
the fields on that screen was somehow getting scrambled.  Both on the
attempted ftp installs, and earlier when I was trying to get it going
by NFS.  I suspect that it didn't use the proper address to access the DNS,
even though that address was correctly entered into the config screen since
I'm certain the DNS was OK.  That is similar to the failure to assign the
proper IP addresses to the SLIP link and start it with the slattach.

	Since in both cases, the net info entered there was apparently getting
zonked by something.  The reason the NFS installs failed was that the link
was getting started (according to the VTY2 screen) on the first attempt,
BUT, there were no IP addresses associated with sl0 when I checked using
the emer VT.  Any further attempt failed with "operation not permitted"
when the slattach screen was encountered on the next try.  I could set the
addresses properly using the emer screen, and try again, which I did over
and over again, trying to do things in different order to see if I could
get by the error.  However, any attempt after the first, after getting the
SLIP link going, fails with the "operation not permitted" message on the
VTY2 output.

	The output on that VTY2 also reports the link being established
properly on the first attempt, when it really is not (no IP address--as
shown by executing "ifconfig sl0" on the VTY4).  Then I'd execute the
"ifconfig sl0 sss.sss.sss.sss ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd up netmask mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm"
and then I could ping it from the Debian box and it would be functional.
But, then trying again would still fail, since sysinstall forces you to
execute the "slattach" command again, which results in the "operation not
permitted" message!  You can't bypass the slattach screen, as that simply
aborts the attempt to start the install, and you end up back at the menu.

	I thought I had it beat by using the VTY4 when I saw I could get
the link going and was able to ping it from the other end, but......

Bummer!
Paul