Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2012 20:35:29 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <freebsd-announce@chthonic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading emacs; Glib-warning, SIGCHLD, SIG_IGN and ECHILD

Greetings....

FYI:

On or about August 1 I upgraded emacs to V. 24.x and when running it,
I found this error in a terminal:

GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status of a child
process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and ECHILD
was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This is a
bug in the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the
exit status, or don't set the SIGCHLD action.

Then my X session would hang, and I needed to pkill emacs to regain my
X session's mouse and keyboard.

I found that a make config which sets GTK3 and unsets GTK2 seems to be
the fix.

Best regards,

Joe