Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 15:57:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ben Cohen <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI greyscale interface by default

Hi!

> I just want to keep
> the GUI-to-script separation absolute, because I don't want to lose any
> of the command-line text-file configuration interface. I'm afraid that
> GUI will eventually lead to binary config files, and then we've lost the
> access to mass config changes. I'm speaking specifically of user changes
> in passwd, but there are other places where I want to use scripts to
> make config changes. Before I get flamed, I realize that GUI doesn't
> imply lack of access, I just want to keep it on the sane path from the
> start.

I agree---I'm sure there are plenty of places where things are bound to be
easier editing a config file rather than using a config program (both in
terms of writing a the program and using it).

And it would be simpler having text config files because then they can be
inspected by hand easily (e.g. if the GUI fails or is suspected broken)
and the sources for programs which use the configs wouldn't have to be
re-written.

> I'm starting to dig through the ports install scripts and such with some
> tips from Jordan. I think our problem needs to be addressed at a deeper
> level first, before we even begin to talk GUI.

Yes.  The config program could be split up into several different programs
each of which could be worked on separately.  e.g. Ports manager, X config
manager, system admin, ...

> I will say right up front that I am still a UN*X newbie, but I've bought
> _lots_ of O'Reilly books and I'm slowly working my way through them. The
> more I read, the more I see that FreeBSD is a rough-cut gem that just
> needs a little TLC because it's really a perfect blue-white. It just
> takes a few judicious taps and we'll have a brilliant-cut diamond
> flashing in the Sun!

I'm a newbie too.  I first used SCO UNIX V a year or so ago, which I
prefer in a few ways, partly because I used SCO first. (e.g. sysadmsh)

Ben.