Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:00:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
Cc:        Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>, Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk quota overriding

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, James Wyatt wrote:

> Now a small amount of anything multiplied by a large number can amount to
> something. If you have a small root, I can see where you could overwhelm
> it. It will also take longer and longer to ann the links and lookups in
> /tmp will take forever.

On any machine which allows general users to log in, I strongly
recommend making separate file systems for /, /usr, /tmp, and /home,
plus any other areas you expect to grow large.  Keeping / and /usr
separate prevents people from playing "ln" tricks to gain root
access.  Keeping /tmp separate helps prevent /tmp from breaking
your system when it fills up (note that I say "when" and not "if").
Keeping the users on a separate partition helps keep them under
control because you can do things like mount the partition with
the "nosuid" attribute.  The only time I ever create a machine with
a single large partition is when I am creating a dedicated server
machine that will only allow logins from trusted staff members.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com