Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:21:26 +0000
From:      Nuno Subtil <nsubtil@vega.dhis.co.it.pt>
To:        Jonathan Hanna <jhanna@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:50:14PM -0800, Jonathan Hanna wrote:

> On 07-Dec-01 Jonathan Hanna wrote:
> >
> > Latest data point here: this time it was fixed mysteriously.
> > After noticing it was down, "netstat -m" showed no serious mbuf
> > use or peak use. "ep0" had:
> >     ep0: flags=cc43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >     and the IP address was set up correctly
> >
> > "tcpdump -n -i ep0" worked, and after that the behavior was back to normal.
> > No restart of natd was done, no firewall rules flushed or reset.
> > This is on 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #3: Sun Jul 15 00:27:41 PDT 2001

I have also seen these symptoms, but on an ISDN interface. The machine does
NAT, and sometimes it just stops working. I can ssh into it through the
"internal" NIC (an ISA NE2000 clone), but no traffic ever goes out through the
ISDN interface --- any program that generates traffic through that interface
returns the same error: "No buffer space available". netstat -m also shows
nothing apparently wrong with mbuf usage.  This happens about once or twice
every two months or so, and a reboot fixes it.  I can't recall seeing any
special flags on the interface when this happens, nor do I remember trying to
run tcpdump on the interface, but I can try that if it happens again.

The ISDN card is a mysterious "combo" card which apparently does video-capture
as well. The ISDN part works with the Teles S0/16.3 driver, modified to accept
the card's signature. NAT is done through ipnat, and the ppp connection is
managed by the userland ppp daemon. It runs 4.3-STABLE from around the
beginning of May 2001.

Nuno Subtil
nsubtil@vega.dhis.co.it.pt