Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:15:43 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@netscalibur.co.uk>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: RELNOTESng now default in 4-STABLE, *.TXT files removed

Mark Blackman said on Jun 11, 2001 at 09:50:54:

> Experimented briefly (30 minutes) this weekend and discovered that
> jadetex will need 'latex' at the bare minimum. On top of that, it will
> require a few extra latex packages (colortbl etc.), which is
> presumably why teTeX was an attractive option. It only seems to need
> these for its own documentation but I might have missed further
> requirements down the line.
>
> However, it should be possibly to load the latex packages as extra
> dependencies either as independent packages (a la the p5 perl modules)
> or just like a bunch of little patch files that the 'latex' processor
> sees via a modified path.
>

> > On Friday 08 June 2001  8:55 am, Mark Blackman wrote:
> > > Strictly speaking, we do have latex as a separate port which doesn't
> > > pull in the quite the monstrosities that teTex requires.
> > >
> > > In principle, one could either modify the existing jadetex port
> > > to optionally or exclusively require only latex. I presume jadetex
> > > doesn't fundamentally require much beyond pdf(la)tex (which is in latex).
> > >
> > > Latex is pretty big but not quite unthinkably so.
> > >
> > > If this functionality (PDF on release) is considered quite nice
> > > and nobody else wants to jump on it, I might have a go at converting
> > > the jadetex port with the assistance of the current maintainer.

I don't think pdflatex is in the latex port.  It is a separate
project, bundled with tetex.  Of the current ports/print tree, only
teTeX seems to include it.

/usr/ports/print>grep pdflatex */pkg-plist
teTeX/pkg-plist:bin/pdflatex
teTeX/pkg-plist:man/man1/pdflatex.1
teTeX/pkg-plist:share/texmf/pdftex/latex/config/pdflatex.ini
teTeX/pkg-plist:share/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt
teTeX/pkg-plist:share/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.log
/usr/ports/print>

So one either needs to create a separate pdf(la)tex port, or use
ghostview to convert ps (from latex+dvips) to pdf; but the latter is
not so efficient.

- Rahul.