Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:29:59 -0500
From:      "John Boteler" <bote@mediaone.net>
To:        "Larry Baird" <lab@gta.com>, "Thomas David Rivers" <rivers@dignus.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ASUS P2B-S and FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

It's a good idea on new systems, or on systems upgraded
or changed in a significant way, to select the
system BIOS' option to "Load optimum settings" or
equivalent. In some cases, one or more registers in
the CMOS memory might have gotten junk values inserted
by a previous operator or by a power glitch.

This can give you the assurance that settings known
to the manufacturer to operate successfully will
be loaded and used.

Of course, you should note any custom settings before
doing this.

Perhaps in the cases noted, the processor or the memory
was on the ragged edge of operating at the given speed.
Changing the devices brought in more elbow room.

There are also bootleg chips out there that are mislabeled
in order to bring a higher price. :(

Bote