Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 13:47:16 +0500 (GMT)
From:      CyberPsychotic <fygrave@tigerteam.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: io ports reading/writing

~
~ I think you just open /dev/io and use inb/outb.  Be warned that this will
~ only work on i386 - the alpha uses a library, libio, to emulate inb/outb
~ in user programs.

 you say that on i386,
open("/dev/io",O_RDWR); foo=inb(PORT_X); bar=outb(foo,PORT_Y); would work?
 if so, in this scheme I don't quite understand how kernel would handle the
access to io ports. F.e. assuming that opening /dev/io, would give
permittions to all io ports would be quite dangerous (since not all programs
which could be permitted to modify cmos, should be permitted to ports
controlling disk access etc).

would you mind eleborating this abit?