Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:04:03 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Importing SASL to the base system

Since we're talking about increasing security, I think it's time to
consider importing SASL functionality into the base OS. SASL is already
widely used in IMAP, and its use is increasing in POP3 and SMTP/LMTP.
The following protocols currently support SASL authentication:

RFC2060	      IMAP4 Rev 1
RFC2229	      A Dictionary Server Protocol
RFC2244	      ACAP -- Application Configuration Access Protocol
RFC2251	      LDAP v3
RFC2449	      POP3 Extensions
RFC2554	      SMTP Service Extension for Authentication
RFC2645	      On-Demand Mail Relay
RFC2829	      Authentication Methods for LDAP (also RFC2830 and RFC2831)

In addition, SASL is proposed for the following protocols and services:

   Internet Messaging and Calendaring, BEEP, PPP, SIEVE, Secure remote
   password change, FTP, and others I've forgotten.

With the IETF requiring secure authentication (when authentication is
applicable) in future protocols, the use of SASL will only increase.

The use of SASL in email right now is (I think) sufficient justification
to import it. We should be able to ship MTAs that support SASL out-of-
the-box. We can't do that right now as the base tools can't rely on
a port. Sendmail could use this immediately if it was in the base.

The CMU SASL code has proved to be stable, and is a candidate for
inclusion, although it would certainly need a work-over before being
imported. And we would need a good architecture/design plan before
doing anything.

I'm willing to do the work to make this happen if there is a
committer who would volunteer to work with me on this.

--lyndon