Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:51:20 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org>, support@fglrx-freebsd.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg and ATI card query.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 08:03:33PM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 07:21, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:40:07 +0000
> > AFAIK, opensource Xorg ati drivers doesn't work with anything beyond
> > x1800. flgrx is only linux binary, however, so you couldn't use it for
> > FreeBSD.
>
> Actually.. http://www.fglrx-freebsd.com/index.php
>
> Unfortunately there is no amd64 version and I lack the clue to make one.

I looked at this last week. I have an amd64 Dell machine with an
X1300 card. I did manage to get the flgrx 8.23.7 Linux amd64 driver
to load as a driver in the FreeBSD version of X - basically I
downloaded the Linux version, extracted the archive, grabbed the
fglrx_drv.so file and put it in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and
then told X to load it. It seemed to be working, but was too old
to support a X1300 card. I suspect it would work OK with less recent
cards.

I then tried to get a newer version working, but the fglrx_drv.so
from newer ATI releases are linked against a whole bunch of crud
(libstdc++, libgcc_s, ....). I tried fudging the linker to make it
load the FreeBSD versions of these, which got me a bit further, but
the Linux versions of these libraries were too different for me to
be able to get them to work.

The drivers for xorg 6.8.0 looked a little more promising as they
weren't linked against so many other libraries. However, I gave up
before building a 6.8.0 server and used the vesa driver.

	David.