Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:47:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Simon Maycock <smaycock@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and Apache Port Based Virtual Hosting

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Simon Maycock wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how I configure Port based Virtual Hosts in Apache
> so that they correctly work with translated packets.  It is my
> understanding that all natd is doing is taking the external address,
> striping it and adding an internal address.  If this is the case then
> I believe the following entries in my httd.conf should be working?
>
> # Use name-based virtual hosting.
> #
> #NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.201
> Listen 80
> Listen 8080
> Listen 8081
> Listen 8082
> #
> # VirtualHost example:
> # Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container. #
> The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known #
> server name.
> #
> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.201:8080>
>     ServerAdmin a@b.com
>     DocumentRoot /data/www/abc
>     ServerName 192.168.1.201:8080
>     ErrorLog /data/www/abc/logs/error_log
>     TransferLog /data/www/abc/logs/access_log
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.201:8082>
>     ServerAdmin a@b.com
>     DocumentRoot /data/www/xyz
>     ServerName 192.168.1.201:8082
>     ErrorLog /data/www/xyz/logs/error_log
>     TransferLog /data/www/xyz/logs/access_log
> </VirtualHost>
>
> This works fine from any internal host, but not from external ones, which
> just default to the default site at port 80.

	 <VirtualHost 192.168.1.201:80>
	     ServerAdmin c@d.com
	     DocumentRoot /data/www/cda
	     ServerName 192.168.1.201
	     ErrorLog /data/www/cda/logs/error_log
	     TransferLog /data/www/cda/logs/access_log
	 </VirtualHost>

> In an attempt to get this problem resolved I have set the firewall to
> allow all and my rc.conf calls the my natd.conf file containing these
> enteries.
>
> #
> log yes
> redirect_port tcp 192.168.2.201:80 80
> redirect_port tcp 192.168.2.201:8080-8082 8080-8082
>
> Any help will be gratefully received.

	Is 192.168.1.201 your insdie IP of the same machine that carries
	your Public address (natd runs on it)?  If so, then the
	redirect_port statements above are not necessary.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"