Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:49:53 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Vitaly A. Repin" <vitaly@radio.hop.stu.neva.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 questions from the beginner

Vitaly A. Repin wrote:

>                                  Hello, All!
>
> Two questions from the new user of FreeBSD (I've installed
> FreeBSD 2.2.5 RELEASE):

	Welcome. :)

> 1) There are two partitions (in MS notation) on my HDD. The first is
> for Win95 (its type is FAT16) and the second is for FreeBSD.
> I want to read and write files from the first partition using FreeBSD.
> Ok, I've read man pages and add the following line in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/wd0s1    /dos_hdd   msdos   rw  0  2
>
> When system starts it dispays the warning from mountmsdosfs(): "root
> directory isn't a multiple of the clustersize in length".
> Manual displays that writing on MS-DOS filesystem can produce the corruption
> of the data and that it is "shortcoming in the code which needs to be
> addressed".
>
> The question is: what should I do to imrove this situation?

	First thing you should do is take out that fstab entry and umount that
parition. This error used to mean that you were in danger of hosing not
just your dos partition but also your freebsd partition. I am guessing
that you used fips to shrink your dos partition. In any case, the
solution is to back up all your data, use dos fdisk to wipe out both
partitions and repartition your drive, then reinstall everything. Yes, I
know this is bad news, but if you want to access your dos partition
regularly from freebsd this is the safest way.

> 2) If I try to mount the FDD (for example) when there is no floppy disk
> in the drive, FreeBSD displays error messages ("Error reading...,
> Input/Output error...").
> The question is: how can I mount my "empty" FDD? (I want to automount my FDD
> when system starts, using fstab.)

	My understanding is that you can't do this, but I'm not a file system
expert. Why do you want to do this? You can cause problems for yourself
if you don't learn the habit of mounting and unmounting disks (including
floppies and cd-roms) as you use them. Better to learn good habits now.
:)

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest