Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:45:15 +0200
From:      "Philipp Reichmuth" <reichmuth@web.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.x: Kernel build fails with weird errors

Hello folks!

I am having some trouble with FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE. I had the same problem with 4.0-RELEASE for some time, though.

I am running a small web and mail server on an Intel Pentium 120, ASUS TP4 mainboard, 64 megs of RAM, a couple of older IDE disks, an old S3 Trio 64 graphics board and a 3COM EtherLink III network adapter; the only more exotic kind of hardware I've installed is a rather large passive cooler, but the problem is probably not due to overheat, as CPU temperature remains relatively moderate. I've installed FreeBSD via FTP from ftp.freebsd.org.

When I try to compile the kernel, weird things happen. In general, the compiler or the kernel exits at "make depend" stage with various errors - bus errors, segmentation faults, kernel page faults, kernel illegal instructions, all sorts of crap.

As I said, the problem currently occurs with 4.1-RELEASE. I've been running 4.0-RELEASE for a couple of months before that, and with 4.0, the compiler exited at "make" stage after the first five to twenty files, usually with a segmentation fault. Probably with the different make depend process in 4.1, it exits earlier because it generally seems to go "tilt" after a more or less unvarying amount of time.

I need to compile a few things in there and out of there, so it would really be appreciated if anyone out there knew what I'm doing wrong or what is going on in the depths of silicon.

Thanks in advance-

Philipp