Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:43:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Jason W. Barnes" <jbarnes@barnesos.net>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, ohartman@uni-mainz.de
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3-SMP/IRQ problems (again)

> SMP is impossible, w/ or w/o ACPI. FreeBSD 5.3 dies after a while of
> doing graphical output with the X11 GUI. I stressed the machine today
> with buildworld and build kernel and building openoffice 1.1.4 with
> console output and for 15 hours the box was stable as a rock. But
> switching to the X11 GUI doing some FireFox jobs (simply surfing the
> www) let the system die within minutes. Sometimes I can 'feel' when a
> crash is arising, the box is a kind of 'calm' and I can switch to the
> console sometimes catching the error message from the debugger, but
> sometimes not.

 	I was having a similar problem with FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE whereby
the system was totally stable without SMP, and totally stable with SMP
while X wasn't running, but where the system would hang after between zero
and 5 minutes of running X.  Sometimes it would lock up even before X got
started.  I'm running a dual Athlon system on an Asus A7M266-D.
 	I fixed the problem by removing modules in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
found that removing:

 	Load  "dri"

from the "Module" section stopped the freezes, and returned my system to
full stability.
 	I don't know what the dri module does, so I don't know what I'm
missing, but everything seems to run okay now.
 	Just in case someone else encounters the parent post with the same
problem,

 				- Jason Barnes