Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:34:55 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw, multiple ISDN TAs, munging routes automagically

Hi folks,

I *think* ipfw can do this.  But before it to a client, can someone
confirm for me whether or not the following is possible.

Consider a network, with a FreeBSD (probably -stable, but I can use
-current if absolutely necessary).  The FreeBSD host has 3 interfaces;
a regular ethernet interface, and two ISDN terminal adapters, both
doing ISDN B channel bonding, for a total of 256 Kbps.

Now, what we want is for one half of the external network traffic
to automatically go up one of the ISDN TAs, and the other half to
go out of the other TA.  Each TA will have a different IP address
assigned to it.

I don't think I can do this with regular routing.  Correct me if I'm
wrong on this, but I'm pretty certain about it.

So I've got the following evil plan in mind.

Run ipfw on the FreeBSD machine, with 2 rules.  Both rules look at the
source address of the packet.  If the source address is in the first 50%
of addresses on the internal network, then use a 'fwd' ipfw rule to
forward the packet on to the first ISDN TA.  If the source address is in
the second half of the internal network, use a 'fwd' rule to send it out
to the second TA.

Oh yeah, and I'll be doing NAT at the same time.

When you've finished retching from this gross hack (which will only be
used for a couple of weeks until the fibre is laid), can anyone confirm
or deny whether or not the above will actually work?  I don't see
anything in ipfw(8) which would preclude it, but I thought I'd check
just in case.

Cheers,

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell