Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:43:11 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@FreeBSD.org>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

On 2013/04/13, at 5:03, Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:
> You target audience for this isn't people who track CURRENT, it's =
people who are on 7, 8, or 9 and looking to update to 10.x sometime in =
the future.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but the problem remains. If ipfilter is broken =
or gets broken because of the networking stack changes, we'll have to =
fix it to keep the deprecation path going...

>>> So with that said, would it be possible to write some tutorials on =
how to migrate an ipfilter installation to pf?  Maybe some mechanical =
syntax docs accompanied by a few case studies?  Is it possible for a =
script to automate some of the common mechanical changes?  Also =
essential is a clear document on what goes away with ipfilter and what =
is gained with pf.  Once those tools are written, I suggest announcing =
that ipfilter is available but deprecated/unsupported in FreeBSD 10, and =
will be removed from FreeBSD 11.  Certain people will still pitch a fit =
about it departing, but if the tools are there to help the common users, =
you'll be successful in winning mindshare and general support.
>>=20
>>=20
>> It's not very difficult to switch an ipf.conf/ipnat.conf to a =
pf.conf, but I'm not sure automated tools exist. I'm also not convinced =
we need to write them and I think the issue can be deal with by writing =
a bunch of examples on how to do it manually. Then we can give people 1y =
to switch.
>>=20
>=20
> Please believe me that no matter how trivial you think the switch is, =
a migration guide still needs to be written.

A migration *guide*, yes. Tools to convert one syntax to another: no.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo