Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:35:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Won De Erick <won.derick@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware clock is not SYNC'ed with kernel clock by ntpdate?

Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

--- On Sat, 2/14/09, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> Won De Erick <won.derick@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  > This file /etc/wall_cmos_clock was missing, so I
> created an empty one.=20
>=20
> So you _do_ want to run your CMOS clock at local time
> instead of UTC?  That is only required if you run a
> different OS on the same machine (dual-boot), because
> Windows expects the CMOS clock to run at local time.
>=20

'Not that I want to run at UTC. I wanted to find out how the BMC system eve=
nt log (SEL) timestamps are done by the BMC firmware. The IBM x343 box is a=
n IPMI v1.5 compliant, and FreeBSD is the only OS installed. I wondered why=
 I got late datestamps on SEL.=20

> Otherwise, if FreeBSD is the only OS on that machine,
> it's better to let the CMOS clock run at UTC (i.e. do
> not create /etc/wall_cmos_clock), because it avoids
> all the switching back and forth between time zones,
> and adjkerntz(8) doesn't have to run all the time.
>=20
> As far as ntpd is concerned, it doesn't matter.  ntpd
> doesn't care about time zones.  It always works on UTC
> internally and synchronizes the time that way (otherwise
> there would be additional complexities using NTP servers
> in different time zones).  Even the kernel doesn't care
> about time zones.  Handling time zones is done in the
> libc (userland).  So, basically, if a program like
> date(1) displays the time, it converts UTC to your local
> time zone for you.
>=20
>  > However, how should I make this automatic, something
>  > that will update
>  > the CMOS clock everytime the kernel clock is
>  > syncronized with a NTP
>  > server? Do I need to make changes on the variables
>  > below?
>=20
> You seem to misunderstand.  The CMOS clock _is_ always
> updated when you run ntpd.  You do not have to change
> anything.
>=20
> The only question is at which time zone the CMOS clock
> runs, as I've explained above.
>=20
> If your CMOS clock runs at UTC (recommended if FreeBSD
> is the only OS on that machine), then the BIOS will
> always display a wrong time, because the BIOS doesn't
> know your time zone, so it can't convert from UTC to
> your time zone.  But that's purely a cosmetical issue.
> You can ignore that.  Your CMOS clock _is_ synchronized
> and runs correctly.  Only your BIOS doesn't know how
> to display it correctly.
>=20

This is a cool explanation. This has cleared my assumption that the CMOS cl=
ocked is not updated whenever the system is sync'ed with an NTP server.
I think this has narrow down the issue.

Let me share you the problem that I encountered, which had led me to suspec=
t before that CMOS clock was not properly sync'ed. I hope you can give me m=
ore hints/explanations for me to come up with a conclusive findings.=20

1. Get the date/time in shell
   # date
   Fri Feb 13 14:20:20 PHT 2009

2. Rebooted the box, then entered BIOS config to verify date/time

System Time : 06:25:29            # seems correct, it runs at UTC
System Date : Fri 02/13/2009

3. Let the system up.
4. Unplugged the power cord to come up with a new event in SEL. I am using =
FreeIPMI v0.7.1 to retrieve the logs.

1724:01-Jan-1970 08:00:12:Power Supply Power Supply 2:Presence detected
1744:01-Jan-1970 08:00:12:Power Supply Power Supply 2:Power Supply input lo=
st (AC/DC)  -------------------> uplug the power.
1764:01-Jan-1970 08:00:12:Power Unit Power Redundancy:Entered from Non-redu=
ndant:Insufficient Resources
1784:01-Jan-1970 08:00:41:System Event System Event:Timestamp Clock Synch
1804:12-Feb-2009 14:27:50:System Event System Event:Timestamp Clock Synch
1824:12-Feb-2009 14:28:15:System Event System Event:OEM System Boot Event
1844:12-Feb-2009 14:29:53:System Event System Event:Timestamp Clock Synch
1864:12-Feb-2009 14:29:53:System Event System Event:Timestamp Clock Synch
1884:12-Feb-2009 14:31:55:System Event System Event:OEM System Boot Event -=
------------------> datestamp incorrect

Is the datestamp '01-Jan-1970' a sign of a defective CMOS battery?
Does the datestamp '12-Feb-2009' being not updated to the correct date (13-=
Feb-2009) is a sign of a defective battery too? or other issues like firmwa=
re bug? I would be grateful to receive more tips from you.