Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 07:39:01 -0400
From:      "Stephen Nadas" <nadas@raleigh.ibm.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        lli@ralvm6.rscs, vperis@watson.ibm.com, Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   High resolution timers

Mike, Luigi,

We run around a dozen or more FreeBSD machines (2.2.8 CD level) in a
networking lab.  Mostly these are pentiums of speed 75mhz-200mhz. We
use xntpdc to synchronize their clocks to one of these machines (so
it is important they be synchronized, but only to each other).  We
also use a tool called MGEN to generate traffic.  This tool uses the
select system call.

On a faster pentium (180mhz) repeated calls to gettimeofday suggest
that the gettimeofday() call takes about 6 usecs.  But similar
measurements show that a select system call takes at least 20
millisec.  This 20msec is causing the application to send very bursty
traffic for higher packet rates because when it wakes up from select
there are many packets to send.  This burstiness is undesirable in
our testing.  So, my main question is: Why is this 20 millisec?
(there's quite a few older appends about this that don't resolve
much) What can I do to make it shorter?

I have read quite a few appends on high resolution timing and a
solution remains unclear.  Since you both have posted the hackers
list on this subject so I am hopeful you can suggest a solution
direction.  I gather that the sysgen option HZ controls the number of
ticks per sec that the kernel sees? (why is this option not in LINT?)
and for higher granularity some appends suggest to increase HZ.
Other appends suggest doing so will screw up xntpdc (is this true if
all the machins involved use the same HZ?)

There are some references to other functions e.g., microtime() but no
man pages - where are these? can they be used in application code
safely?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Steve Nadas

ip: nadas@raleigh.ibm.com / VM: nadas at rtp/notes: nadas@ibmusm23
+1-919-254-2363 / Tieline: 8-444-2363 / Fax: use X-5483