Date:      09 Nov 1998 10:17:47 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: realistic HD size needed ?

Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net> writes:

> If I wanted to make a FreeBSD system where I could make my own kernels, make
> world, etc
>
> How large of a HD would I need?
>
> This would be a Pentium system, if that matters.
>
> I've got a 1gig HD available.  Would that be enough?  I'd want it to be my
> main system, so I'd want X, Netscape, emacs, etc on it.
>
> I just am curious how large I would want to be comfortable and not need to
> worry about it (I'm considering getting a new HD anyway)

You can get by with 1G, even with make worlds. I have about 32M for /,
32-64M for /var, maybe 64-128M for swap, and figure I need about 600M
for /usr which includes /usr/ports and /usr/{src|obj}. The rest I
allocate to /home where I have /usr/local, home dirs, etc.

I usually make /usr/ports a link to /usr/local/ports or something, and
/us/rports/distfiles to /usr/local/src because the dists can get
large.