Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:46:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   libraries...

maybe you've read my original message that talked about my problems
installing Xaw3d. Well, I've figured out something strage that *could* be
the problem.

First, are libraries with the ending .a a-out libs and libraries ending
with .so ELF-libs? If so, then something strange has happened.

On my machine on which Xaw3d is working, I find some files called
libXaw3d.so.6 (or so) in /usr/X11R6/libs. On my other machine on which it
*doesn't* work, I find libXaw3d.a in the same dir. Now, why did this
happen? Both of my machines run the same version of all software and I
built Xaw3d on both using the same procedure. I assume that somewhere in
some file there must be an option how I can fix the problem. But how?

Greetings,
Nils