Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 1995 12:04:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        Daniel Baker <dbaker@Concorde-Mail.NeoSoft.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] Laplink? Slip or PPP?

On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Daniel Baker wrote:

> > Combine the "setup for dial-in" FAQ and the slip-server FAQ, both
> > available on www.freebsd.org and you will be in business. Its not tough
> > at all (or the directions are excellent, or both)
> Should I set it up for modem dialin or dumb terminal dialin?  The laplink
> cable will go into my com2/cuaa1
>
> Both machines are FreeBSD boxes.

Okay, If you are using the YELLOW laplink cable, you are doing this
parallel, if you are using the BLUE cable [4 heads] you are doing this
serial.

If you are doing it serial, you should set your port to be a dumb
terminal on both ends which basically just means you are setting the
baudrate as high as you can go, most likely 115kbaud.

Whether you are using a cuaa1 device or the lp0 device [for the parallel
port deal] you will need to setup two IP addresses [if you are not
connecting to a larger network, especially the internet]. Actually to be
on the safe side, use IP addresses in the 100.x.x.x block which have been
assigned for non-live internet usage. Anyway, two IP addresses say
100.1.1.2 and 100.1.1.3 on each machine.

run
ifconfig [device] ipaddress1 ipaddress2
and on the other
ifconfig [device] ipaddress2 ipaddress1

I don't remember if both machines can just slattach at that point at the
whole thing works. I would think you might have to use sliplogin on one
of the machines which will set the IP addresses for you if you set it up
correctly [as in the FAQ] the other machine can just ifconfig and
slattach after a sliplogin and everything *should* work.

-Jerry.